- 1 1/2 lb dried split peas divided
- 10 1/2 cup water divided
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes for 6 cups of water
- 2 lb ham on bone
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks including leaves, sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 red potatoes, cubed
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 pinch white pepper
- 1 pinch Cheyenne pepper
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped cooked bacon *optional
- Sort then rinse peas. In a large pot, combine 1lb peas, 8 cups of hot water, chicken bouillon and ham, then bring to a boil over high heat. Cover the pot and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 min stirring occasionally.
- While that"s cooking chop all vegetables. After first half hour add the vegetables and seasonings for 30 more minutes or until desired tenderness is reached. In second pot add 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 lb of peas on medium heat for 30 min.
- Once desired tenderness is reached remove the ham and trim the meat off the bone and discard along with excess fat. Chop meat and add back to soup along with extra peas and water. Mix well and serve.