- 375 g ready-rolled all-butter puff pastry
- 3 slices Parma ham, cut into strips
- 100 g Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbsp celery seeds, optional
- Parmesan cheese, for grating over
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Lay the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Place the parma ham slices over one half of the pastry, and crumble the Stilton cheese evenly over the top.
- Fold the other half of pastry over the top of the ham and cheese half and use a rolling pin to roll out thinly, squishing the cheese and sticking the halves of pastry together as you do so.
- Brush the top of the pastry sandwich with beaten egg, sprinkle with celery seeds if using, and then grate some Parmesan cheese over the top. Press in with your fingers.
- Cut the pastry into long strips with a sharp knife. Pick up each strip one at a time and transfer to an oven tray lined with baking parchment. Twist the strip into a spiral and press each end down to hold the twist. Brush a little more egg over the straws and grate over some more Parmesan. Bake in the oven for 12–15 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Leave on the baking tray for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool and crisp, but don"t leave them to go cold as they are much more delicious eaten warm. Serve with ice cold cava.