- 1/2 onion
- 1 medium beet root
- 1 large carrot or 2 small
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2-3 pinches salt
- 1-2 sprigs fresh thyme (1 tsp or so)
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 splash balsamic or other dark vinegar
- 1/2-1 tsp sugar, optional
- to taste black pepper
- Finely mince the onion. Peel the beets and carrots, and grate finely with a hand grater.
- In a medium pot, melt butter and add onion. Cook on low until golden and soft.
- Add the grated beets and carrots to the pot and stir into the onions. Then add in the thyme, rosemary, a couple pinches of salt and a splash of vinegar.
- Cover the pot and let it cook on low heat for 30 minutes. Stir the jam 2-3 times during cooking.
- After 30 minutes it should be soft and sweet. Add a little sugar and black pepper to taste if you like.
- Use as a spread for bread, or even as side dish itself.