- 5 fresh apples such as Fuji, sliced into 8-10 wedges each
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 1 tsp. Iodized salt, plus additional to taste
- to taste Ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. Brown sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp. Corn starch, divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 half ham, boneless
- 4 cups apple cider
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Place apples and onions in the bottom of roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon corn starch--toss to coat evenly. Scatter butter cubes evenly over top. Place ham on top of apple and onion mixture and bake for 1 hour. Stir apples and onions and continue baking for about 30 minutes or until ham has about 15 minutes remaining to bake.
- To make glaze: In a medium saucepan, combine apple cider and Balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Cook until liquid has reduced by about half. Turn off heat, add 2 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 teaspoon salt and whisk to dissolve. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of cold water with 2 tablespoons corn starch. Bring sauce to a boil again and add corn starch mixture, whisking constantly until sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- When ham has 10-15 minutes remaining to bake, remove from oven and adjust over temperature to 375°F. Apply glaze evenly over entire ham and drizzle over apple and onion mixture. Return the ham to the oven until ham is heated through and glaze is beginning to caramelize.
- Serve each slice of ham with the glazed apples and onions. Enjoy!